ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, as well as technical and social service provision on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With 11 faculties and more than 80 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its staff and students.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
Today, severe socio-ecological problems increasingly disturb our customary ways of behaving. As our changing environment emerges as a crisis that disturbs our habits, we are faced with the challenge of finding new ways of inhabiting the world. In this context, ‘learning’ is often seen as vital for transforming our society into a more sustainable direction. In October 2021, the research project ‘Transactional investigations of learning in view of sustainability transitions’ (LESTRA), financed by the European Research Council (ERC), was officially launched. The central question in this project is how learning processes can contribute to sustainability transitions. For this project, we are looking for two PhD researchers.
- You become a part of the LESTRA research team, which conducts social scientific research on the role of learning processes in sustainability transitions;
- At least 90% of your assignment will be spent on academic research in preparation of a doctoral dissertation;
- Together with the team, you collect and analyse data in regard to sustainability transitions in food systems, mobility and plastics;
- You conduct independent research and further specify the central theme of your doctoral thesis together with your promotor and co-promotor;
- You communicate about the results of the research by presenting them at academic conferences, writing academic publications and engaging in writings/activities for a non-academic audience (e.g. facilitating workshops for policymakers and practitioners involved in transition initiatives).
Find out more information HERE.