Tropické zemědělství (Tropical Agriculture) is a three-year Bachelor study programme taught in Czech. The aim of this programme is to prepare graduates for their professional mission in tropical and subtropical countries in the field of agriculture. Graduates gain knowledge about tropical crop production, animal husbandry, and rural development, with an emphasis on sustainable use of natural resources and environmental protection. Students are encouraged to choose their specialization via a choice of optional courses. Practical training, field work, excursions and practical lessons that enable students to gain practical skills and knowledge are important components of the programme. The studies are terminated by a State exam and Bachelor thesis defence.
Graduates have conferred upon them the title of "Bachelor" (B.Sc.). Bachelor's study programmes may be followed up by our Master's study programmes.
- Admission interview from: Biology + English (you can find more information about admission procedure HERE)
- Form of study: full-time
- Indicative study plan for TZ can be found HERE (czech only).
- The study plan for TZ can be found also in the university information system (UIS) HERE.
Knowledge acquired and skills of graduates:
The TZ study programme in general targets a professional profile among its graduates who should leave as versatile experts in the field of the sustainable development of agriculture in the rural areas of countries in the tropics and subtropics. The TZ study programme is designed in line with the needs of environmental protection and simultaneously seeks to solve issues of poverty and ensure food security in developing countries. Depending on their profile graduates on the study programme should meet the following criteria:
- Sufficient theoretical knowledge of basic biological and technical disciplines and subjects.
- Professional knowledge of practical courses focused on the production of agricultural crops in the tropics and subtropics.
- Professional knowledge of the farming and feeding of domestic animals in the tropics and subtropics.
- Professional knowledge in the field of the technological development of agricultural production in the tropics and subtropics.
- Study focussed on the educational problems of the local population.
- Respect for the sustainable use of natural resources and biodiversity conservation.
- Statistical surveys and data acquisition as basic skills for applied research.
- Required practical knowledge of English and one other foreign language.
Job opportunities for graduates
Students of the TZ are prepared for professional activity in the countries of the tropical and subtropical zones such as agricultural production, services, research, manufacturing, education, inspections, etc. It is assumed that the majority of students after graduating will continue their studies in Master's degree programmes which are already strongly specialized in various disciplines related to rural development in the tropics and subtropics. Students may find jobs:
- As expert advisers in Czech governmental institutions or non-governmental organizations dealing with the problems of developing countries and international cooperation.
- In Czech and international organizations implementing development projects within the expanding programme of Czech development aid and collaboration in positions as coordinators and specialists in the field of agriculture and rural development.
- In Czech and international organizations implementing development projects funded by other international organizations - the EU, WBG, FAO, UNDP and others - in positions as coordinators and specialists in the field of agriculture and rural development.
- In private companies focused on import-export or services in developing countries.