Programme title: Tropical Agrobiology and Bioresource Management
Study modes: Full time (part time possible on request)
Length of the study: 4 years (8 semesters)
Tropical Agrobiology and Bioresource Management is a unique study field thanks to its geographical rareness and the exceptional combination of disciplines characteristic for pure basic research as well as combined disciplines and disciplines typical for applied research with high innovative potential. The transdisciplinary nature of the study field is reflected by the topics of the dissertation theses found on the borderline of the classically understood specializations, e. g. ethnobotany/pharmacology, animal husbandry/domestication of the wildlife, agriculture/ecology. The pathway allows flexibility in choosing courses that suits specific interests of the students. Research topics include: wildlife management, livestock production, food sciences, ethnobotany, phytopharmacology, agroforestry, socio-economy, and farmers' decision making; sustainable management of natural resources, conservation of genetic resources, domestication and inventory studies, minimal and alternative technologies.
Doctoral students must collect 240 ECTS credits in 4 years (8 semesters), each study obligation is granted ECTS credits as stated in the University internal regulations. The credits can be collected for:
Obligatory courses: Management of Research, English language, One course (subject) of own choice related to the topics of the dissertation thesis, this course can be passed at Faculty of Tropical AgriSciences or any other faculty of the Czech University of Life Sciences Prague or any other university in the Czech Republic or abroad
Other study obligations: Internship – stay abroad, minimum 4 weeks, Participation at a conference (at least once per year), Scientific paper: publication of an article in scientific journal indexed at scientific databases Web of Science or Scopus, State doctoral exam (three topics selected at the beginning of the studies), Doctoral thesis defence
Optional: Soft skills seminar / workshop, International project cooperation, Foreign languages, Optional courses, Scientific papers, Summer schools
Why choose the FTA:
- The Czech University of Life sciences is a university with a history over 100 years, yet it is a modern establishment; The Faculty of Tropical AgriSciences is a unique institution, with over fifty years experience in education and research focused on agriculture, rural development and the sustainable management of natural resources in the tropics.
- At the Faculty of Tropical AgriSciences (FTA), you will receive personal attention, and you are able to choose from a broad range of PhD promotors (supervisors).
- The FTA has a long history and lot of experience with projects in many different parts of the world.
- Our research and teaching are marked by internationality, interdisciplinarity and sustainability.
- The FTA offers a broad spectrum of cooperation with institutions abroad as well as many options where to spend an internship.
- The campus is a unique park-like space that offers short distances between lecture halls, laboratories, the canteen, the study and information centre (library), dorms, sport facilities and public transport to the city centre (to enjoy the vibrant city life).
- The FTA is located in Prague, one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
Find your academic supervisor:
If you decide to earn your doctoral degree at the Faculty of Tropical AgriSciences, you are encouraged to find a person to be your academic supervisor. You are not recommended to apply for studies without consent for supervision. When seeking an academic supervisor, you may search on your own in your field of study (based on publications, records in scientific databases, conference experience….), and you can also select from the list provided on the website under each doctoral study programme: FTA website – Science &Research – Doctoral Study - PhD (Doctoral) Degree Programmes – select the programme that you like and download “List of Promotors”.
Tuition fees for studies in English language: CZK 5.000/year (approx. 300 USD/250 EUR per year)
Financial aspects and scholarships:
The Faculty of Tropical AgriSciences does not offer any fully paid PhD position nor apply full tuition fees. Our policy is to require a reasonable tuition fee and offer some scholarships (see Scholarship Rules for Students in DSP at the FTA). These scholarships cannot cover the cost of living in Prague (click HERE for more details) and therefore PhD students must partly organise the financing of their doctoral studies themselves (the promotors can also offer some extra scholarships).
Qualification of the applicant (previous education):
English level at least B2. Completed Master’s Degree at faculties with a Natural or Life Sciences, Agriculture, Engineering, Technical, Socio-economics or similar profile.
Schedule for application, entrance interview and enrolment:
|1st Stage||February –mid-March||April||September||Early birds in order to allow enough time for the visa process|
April - May
|June||September||Please note that July-August is holiday period at many embassies and the visa process might take a long time|
|3rd Stage||June - August||September||September||Please note that the visa process takes several months. There is no chance to apply for studies and expect to enrol in September if you do not have visa yet.|
These are approximate dates; please consult the Admission Procedures to get the exact dates.
There is no difference in applying for any round or stage of the admission procedure, the only difference being the convenience of the applicants and the time that applicants have to get their visa (if needed).
Application and Entrance interview:
- The documents needed for application (all need to be provided in the English language):
- Certificate of graduation from previous level of study (Master’s Diploma)
- Diploma supplement (list of marks from previous study)
- Curriculum vitae (in the English language)
- Face-to-face interview (Skype possible) conducted in the English language. An in-depth discussion, during which applicants must demonstrate professional skills to study in the appropriate area of science and as well as the prerequisites for independent scientific work. It is assumed that the applicant applies for a particular topic, that s/he is in contact with a potential supervisor, has at least a rough idea of how to grasp the topic methodically, how the research will be financed and how the results could be used in practice and enrich knowledge in the discipline. Moreover, the motivation and ability of a candidate to deal with the topic will be assessed.
To get the confirmation of accommodation for the visa application, go to this website: ISKAM – log in with the same username and password as to the University Information System (received during the application for studies) and request confirmation. More information about university accommodation HERE.
Recognition of Academic Diplomas:
For validation of foreign university education and qualifications in the Czech Republic go to this website.
Please note that health insurance is a private matter and is not organized nor financed by the university. You can find some useful information HERE.
How to get to the university:
How to get to the campus of our university where the Faculty of Tropical AgriSciences is located? Click HERE to find out.
What to do after acceptance and visa proces:
Please find relevant information HERE.
The Handbook for new students of the Czech University of Life Sciences is HERE.